You Can Now Get Botox At Superdrug And I Am Sad About It

Girls, you have lovely faces. Lovely. Trust me, it is doing a great job, that face, of looking like you and expressing your emotions and experiencing the world. You too, boys. Lovely faces. All of you.

They announced it yesterday. You can now get Botox at Superdrug. That and other fillers. Which makes me feel unbelievably sad. When did it become mainstream to inject chemicals into your face?

This is not meant as a judgement. Honestly, am all for enhancing your assets. We know I like makeup. Which is rooted in a similar place, I guess, wanting to feel confident and like the best version of yourself. To feel beautiful.

But you already are. You really are. Maybe not in the same way as Kylie Jenner, but Lord knows we only need one of her. There is so much more to life than how you look. Take your perfectly lovely face on adventures. Let it see things, and taste things and tell people you love that you love them.

Be your own face. Own that face. Treasure your perfectly lovely face. Don’t balance it on a stool and let a stranger inject it with poison in Superdrug.

Hayley

x

8 Comments

1. Kairen
    August 16, 2018 / 8:10 am

Well said!

2. Claire
    August 16, 2018 / 9:10 am

You’ve summed up my feelings beautifully. We should get this made into posters and do some guerilla fly posting outside Superdrug shops? I think I’d rock a bit of camouflage clothing….

• August 16, 2018 / 9:20 am

Thank you Claire, that means a lot. I’m really shocked by it actually. I think a protest is in order! H x

3. August 16, 2018 / 9:17 am

I was surprised too when I heard this on the news yesterday. Saying that, Botox and fillers are readily available in more places than you think! Both my dentist and my daughter’s orthodontist do it. Like you say it’s a confidence thing. If it makes you feel more confident then why not I say! My local Superdrug have started doing gel nails now too, which is new!

Samantha x

• August 16, 2018 / 9:23 am

Sam, I absolutely know what you mean, it is everywhere which is what worries me. I don’t want my girls thinking it is ‘normal’ to get procedures like that. It’s an interesting one. I guess cosmetic dentristy is also painful and permanent, yet I’ve had that done! H x

4. August 16, 2018 / 10:55 am

To be honest – I heard about this yesterday and it made me quite sad that Superdrug are venturing into this. Of all people – a well known drugstore. I just think it’s going to encourage young girls even more when they don’t need it! Well said x

• August 16, 2018 / 11:08 am

Thanks Annie. It’s young girls that really worries me. They are calling it the ‘Love Island effect’. Deeeeepressing. H x