Beauty Pie: Best Thing Ever or Bit Of A Swizz?

Am in a state of flux. Cannot decide if, as per my snappy title, Beauty Pie is the best thing ever or a bit of a swizz. My first order arrived and the products are, almost universally, fantastic. The Japanfusion Pure Transforming Cleanser (£6.55 for members, £25 for non-members) is excellent, the Pro-Glow Face Sculpting Palette (£7.27/£32) good, the powders nice quality and the shades just right, and the Fantasticolour Eye Crayon (£4.49/£18) and Pro-Glow Superstrobing Drops (£5.51/£22) are both exceptional in terms of formulation, comparable to their premium counterparts.

Only the Supercolour Eyeliner (£3.78/£15) is underwhelming, a little stiff and the colour disappointing. But for three quid it’s hardly a big deal. Except that it’s not £3. Or even £3.78 (why, why with the odd pennies?) Because of course, there is the monthly membership fee. Then you have to pay for shipping. In case you are thinking – no big deal – let me show you how much difference this actually makes in practice.

This month, thought I’d try out a fragrance. Bit of a gamble, buying a fragrance unseen (unsniffed?) but at £18.54 it doesn’t feel like a huge risk, should it not turn out to be your favourite scent ever. Except that the “typical price”, the price Beauty Pie values it at, is £125. Which means I’m unable to buy it with my £10 per month membership and £100 spending limit. Would need to upgrade, to £15/month. Plus shipping. Suddenly it’s up around the £40 mark, which doesn’t feel like great value at all for a fragrance that you can’t try in store and don’t know if you even like.

Then they sent me an email at Christmas offering to temporarily increase my spending limit, which sounded like a great idea, ideal for gifting, until I visited the website and saw that there would be a £20 charge for doing so. The cheek. So between the spending limit, the membership fee and the arbitrary typical value pricing nonsense (not to mention the cheeky Christmas email, the shipping and those pennies) and I’m a bit fed up with the Beauty Pie experience. Already, one month in.

But then I placed my second order. Went for a retinol serum and another cream eyeshadow, which came to just £17.57 including shipping. Even with the £10 membership fee, £28 feels like an absolute steal for those two products. And then the order arrived and not only is the eyeshadow great but the retinol serum is 50ml! Was expecting 30ml.

So back to loving it again. Beauty Pie, emotional rollercoaster. Thoughts, team? Am I expecting too much? Is the spending limit sensical? Are the pennies even that irritating? Let me know.

Til next time,

Hayley

x

6 Comments

1. Jo
    January 10, 2019 / 9:03 am

Ohhh I’m so glad to read this. Their social media stalking has nearly broken me lots of times. I am in a quandary….

• January 10, 2019 / 9:36 am

The ads are so tempting! The products are good though. Am two days in with the retinol and having a goooood face day. H x

2. Kairen Larsen
    January 10, 2019 / 9:25 am

What a great blog! I’ve been on the fence with Beauty Pie because of their membership fee spending limits and shipping, and not knowing how good the products would actually be. You may have just tempted me to join!

• January 10, 2019 / 9:37 am

The products are so nice. If you just want a little makeup here and there, I think it’s probably a good idea. H x

3. karen tozzi
    January 11, 2019 / 11:20 pm

hi! i confess to being a superfan of beauty pie, so allow me to explain a bit: the odd numbers are because you are literally paying what they pay for the item, and it’s all broken down on the product page. the membership fee [and the top up fees] are the only thing they get to pay their staff/bills/bottom line profit/any ads they wish to run/etc. and shipping, of course, is not included, because there is not a very inflated price to roll it into. the allowance is partly due to their business model requiring the membership fees, and partly to help control inventory. when you actually sit down, and think about the details of running a business, and consider their very unique model, it all makes a lot of sense–but of course, if one is just thinking of it as a company that inflates prices to cover all of these things, and allow for a lot of unsold products on shelves, it does seem quite irritating. there is a “learning curve,” if you will, but i personally find the products and ethos of the company beyond worth it. glad you enjoyed [most] of the products! –karen

• January 12, 2019 / 8:23 am

Hi Karen, this is all very interesting and did make me stop and think about the intricacies of running a business, particularly a new one, so thank you. I guess the part I find most irritating is the typical price valuations and their links to the spending limits. However, I’m still enjoying it overall and have no plan to cancel my membership quite yet! H x